Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Carpe Diem

Well, here we go.

I've never been comfortable with the idea of blogging. Then again, I've never been comfortable with the idea of self-publishing either... and that is what I am about to do.

Breaking out of one's comfort zone is not easy. I grew up with the idea that I had to go the traditional route as an author, and I have faithfully done so-- I have a degree in English Literature from Trent University. I've written heaps of short stories and had them published, thus proving that someone believed in me enough to put me in print. I studied with Peter Carey as my mentor through the Humber School for Writers. I wrote a novel-- Base Spirits-- that I think is good, had it professionally edited and began the endless rounds of queries to agents and publishers.  I've belonged to writers' groups, in person and on-line.  I've been paid to write. I've received praise and grant money and won prizes.

I read a lot. I write a lot. I take pains to hone my craft, and when I get rejected, I dust myself off and try again. And again.

But there comes a time when a sea change is needed.

Self-publishing had a rotten stigma for a very long time... and mostly for very good reasons. I resisted the idea for years, determined to keep on throwing myself at the mercy of editors and agents. My friend Craig saw my frustration, and encouraged me to try the new trend in self-publishing a couple of years ago. I wasn't in the right state of mind to hear it at the time, but his words must have sunk in. I've been watching the growth and evolution of self-publishing... and now I'm ready to give it a shot.

This won't be easy, and the rewards may seem paltry at first... but I will no longer be waiting on the whims of faceless, overworked publishers and agents. I will-- with luck and perseverance-- find a readership.

This blog is part of the process. I invite you to come along for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment